Rub the outside of the gums 1-3 times in each of the 4 quadrants of the mouth.
- You can use your finger or a Nuk Brush, or a Fingertip Toothbrush. (I usually use my finger)
- Take your finger out after each quadrant to give the client a chance to swallow.
- Do not do more than 3 swipes (or rubs) on a aquadrant.
- Make sure the client knows when you will stop and they will tolerate it better. It may help to count to 5 or 10, and make sure that you are done when you get to 5 or 10
- You can do it fast or slow, but you must give firm pressure to the gums.
At the end, do one swipe on the roof of the mouth behind the front teeth.
Do this at least 3-5 times per day. More is better.
Do this with the supervision of an Occupational Therapist to make sure that you are doing it right, and that the client can tolerate it.